McCain Has No Support From Base?

Of course not! Does this honestly come as a surprise to anyone? Here is what McCain's mother said on C-SPAN:


Steve Scully: This is a political question in terms of how he gets the nomination, but just from what you have seen, how much support do you think he has among the base of the Republican Party?

Roberta McCain: I don’t think he has any. I don’t know what the base of the Repub–maybe I don’t know enough about it, but I’ve not seen any help whatsoever.

Scully: So can he then go on and become the nominee of this party?

McCain: Yes, I think holding their nose they’re going to have to take him.

Scully: Can you explain?

McCain: Well, everything they’ve done and said. … Now I’m really popping off, but he worked like a dog to get Bush re-elected. …He’s backed Bush in everything except Rumsfeld. Have you heard other senators and congressmen backing Bush over eight years? Find me it–give me a name. I’ve not seen any public recognition of the work that he’s done for the Republican party.


I could write for days on the insanity in these statements - particularly the asinine "...they're going to have to take him." But I will stick with the big picture on this one. McCain does not have the backing of his base because his views don't even come close to lining up with his so-called base. He would be more likely to have a supportive base if he ran as an independent or a democrat. McCain is to a Republican what monogamy is to Bill Clinton - they just don't go together...and never will.

John McCain does not have a particular political agenda other than whatever he perceives will get him votes. He does not hold fast to conservative values, such as the rule of law. McCain co-sponsored the now defunct Immigration Act from last summer. Which, all arguing aside, was amnesty any way you look at it. He also voted against a bill that would prohibit undocumented immigrants convicted of aggravated felonies, domestic violence, stalking, violation of protection orders, crimes against children, or crimes relating to the illegal purchase or sale of firearms, from gaining legal status. If one takes the time to look at his voting record, there is a lot missing, because many are labeled NV (Not Voting, Excused, Absent, or Present). I dare say that wasn't by mistake - he doesn't want to have to reveal his views and alienate his base any further than he already has.

Well, Roberta, I can tell you one thing: Your son is no Republican, and whether you like it or not, I do not have to take him. Bragging that your son has blindly supported a President that in my opinion, has made some major errors in conservative judgement (namely immigration, and out of control spending), does not encourage me to vote for him. My vote will not go to John McCain - I prefer someone that actually holds to conservative principles, and is younger than my grandfather.

0 comments: