The Great Laundry Fold 2009

I have a problem.
This is supposedly my first step to recovery.
My problem revolves around laundry.


Look at that nicely folded stack of laundry. You can find that stack on my coffee table right now. You know, just in case anyone stopped by, they would look at it and say "Wow. Jen is a great housekeeper. She really gets the job done." Or something like that.

But if you were able to fend off my superior martial arts tactics and take a stroll upstairs, you would find this in the master bedroom:

That's clean laundry, folks. And the picture doesn't really do the pile justice. It's such a large pile, Zach enjoys jumping in it on a daily basis. I think there is a family of illegal immigrants living in it. I justify keeping it, because if I folded all of it, Zach would no longer have a place to practice mountain climbing.

My problem is finishing the last step of chores. I wash the laundry, and then I dry it. After that, it's on it's own. I have only folded laundry when it's still warm maybe twice in my entire life. Yes, it felt good to get it done, but not good enough to make it a habit!

Do I feel guilty? Yes! Especially at 6 in the morning when my husband is digging through the pile to find socks and a semi-unwrinkled shirt to wear. I feel horrible. That is why, this weekend, I will tackle this pile. But, being the reflective person that I am, I think I need to deal with the source of this problem. I just don't know what that is.

I just don't finish chores. The folded laundry you saw in the first picture? It has been sitting on the coffee table for 2 days now. Because I haven't been able to bring myself to carry the pile upstairs and put the clothes away.

When I go grocery shopping, I haul all the bags into the kitchen, put away the refrigerated items, and leave the rest in the bags on the floor.

When I wash dishes, I load up the dishwasher, run it, and leave the clean dishes in there instead of putting them away in the cabinets.

When I have to hand wash dishes, I put them on the counter to dry, and there they sit until I need to use them again.

I'm sure I could think of more examples, but this should prove that I definitely have a pattern of unfinished chores.

I would like to know what you do to keep yourself in check and make sure that you finish a chore. I hesitate to ask though, because I have a feeling that the answer will be "JUST DO IT". And I know I need to! But if I did, where would the illegals live?? :)

2 comments:

Risha said...

Well, I don't really know what to tell you because I am the same way- down to every one of the chores you listed. There is a laundry basket full of kids clothes sitting on top of the washer that's been there for days. I can't even remember when I washed it. The other day, I vacuumed the bedrooms and the hallway, but the vacuum is still sitting out because I need to vacuum the living room/dining room. I never empty the dishwasher until I'm ready to put clean dishes in it, and I do the same things with the grocery bags, too! I'll be checking back to see if you get any good tips because I need some myself!

Shelbey said...

Laundry, dishes in the dishwasher, groceries on the counter.... I am exactly the same as you! It feels good to know that there are others out there!!