A Family Affair

A lot has happened since my last post! Tyler's mom and youngest sister, Anna, came to visit for a week starting last Wednesday. They had quite a difficult time getting here thanks to storms over Texas, but they survived! Zach and I picked them up at the airport, and thus began Zach's week with his fan club! :) He loved seeing his Nana, but he LOVED seeing his Aunt Anna - he flirted with her non-stop. On Thursday, Nana took Zach to his Little Gym class. I think they both really enjoyed it. Zach did a turn on the bar and did an excellent job holding on. He is really getting familiar with the class and enjoying it. When it's bubble time, he stands in front of Miss Lisa and holds both his hands up above his head waiting for the bubbles. I'll have to get a picture of it one of these days :)

Tyler had Friday off, so we invited some family friends to come over for the day. It was a beautiful day, and we ended up spending a lot of time just sitting outside. Lately, Zach has been OBSESSED with being outside. It doesn't matter how long I let him play outside, he still cries when it's time to go back inside. He walks around the yard and picks up rocks and sticks and leaves, and gives his treasures to me. I think we're going to have to consider a play set for the backyard sometime soon.











On Saturday, we decided to take Zach to a park to further fulfill his interest in the outdoors. We took a picnic lunch to Pullen Park, and then let Zach explore. Again, it was a gorgeous day - we all got a little sun which is much appreciated after being ghostly white from winter. After spending some time at the park, we went to the Farmers Market, and then to Old Yates Mill. It was a great day, and we got some great pictures as well. Tyler's mom pointed out all the turtles sunning themselves on logs out in the lake - they looked like rocks, except for their little heads sticking up!









On Easter, we went to church and then came home where I made an Easter dinner of Ham, Potato casserole, salad, sweet tea, and we had cheesecake for dessert - YUM! Monday was an interesting day - we went to the mall to check out a bridesmaid dress at Ann Taylor, and I think all the activity and missed naps caught up with Zach because he threw his best tantrum yet. It began in the dressing room of Ann Taylor, and I quickly moved him out into the mall. But he was MAD that he was in his stroller, and was doing his best to try to escape. So while I'm standing there, pondering why I ever thought motherhood was a good idea, and watching my child contort his body in strange attempts to escape, this lady approaches me and tells me "you know, he doesn't want to be in his stroller - if you pick him up, he'll stop crying". Wow. What wisdom! I didn't know what to say - how do you explain that he doesn't want to be held, he wants to run free, and that if I took him out of the stroller now, he would learn that if he screams long enough, he'll get what he wants. So I just said "That won't work, but thank you." Then she looks at me and says "He just needs some lovin'." So I said, "I love him very much, but I'm not picking him up." And so the lady walked away clearly appalled at my cold, unloving heart. I was so embarrassed and annoyed. Here I am, engaged in a power struggle of epic proportions with my child, and somehow I end up looking like the mom who doesn't love her child. Oh well. I was happy to get out of the mall.

Tyler's mom and sister left on Tuesday, and Zach immediately crashed. He had a lot of sleep to catch up on, and he intended to get started! Unfortunately, I think he's teething again, and he's been running another fever, but at least he'll be back on his normal routine. He had a very fun week though. As did I.

Oh, I made a recipe while Cherri and Anna were here that came out really well. I thought I'd pass it along. It's from Paula Deen, so it is not healthy is any way, shape or form - but it's GOOD! Here you go:

Herbed Stuffed Chicken Breasts
Serves 4

- 4 whole skinless boneless chicken breasts (approx. 5 to 7 oz each)
- One 3-oz package cream cheese, softened
- 3 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sweet basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices bacon
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), melted


Preheat over to 275 degrees. Wash and pound each chicken breast flat. Lay chicken breast on cookie sheet or large platter and spread it with cream cheese, followed by a quarter of the feta cheese. Mix together basil, oregano, salt, pepper and garlic powder, and sprinkle over chicken. Roll up each breast and wrap with a slice of bacon. Place chicken breasts in a casserole dish and pour melted butter over all. Cover casserole dish with foil and bake for 1 1/2 hours. Uncover dish and increase temperature to 350 degrees. Continue to bake, allowing the bacon to brown, for 15 to 20 minutes. Or you could place the dish under broiler for a few minutes to brown. Serve over rice, with pan juices poured on top.

If you try it, let me know how it comes out!

0 comments: