Feb. 3, at the latest.

I just got back from my doctor's appt. At 40 weeks and 1 day. Everything looks good, blah, blah, blah :) They went ahead and scheduled an induction for Tuesday, Feb. 3 if nothing happens before then. I guess that'll work. I was going to try to get them to let me go to the hospital today, but then I was talking with the receptionist and a woman in the waiting room, and they both mentioned that they were induced and labor progressed so quickly that they weren't able to get an epideral. I can't even tell you how wrong that is! I don't want to do anything to hurt my chances of getting drugs! :) I try to think of how I would react if the doctor told me I couldn't have an epidural...would I become physically violent? Maybe. Would I demand something else like morphine? Probably. Would I send Tyler to the store to buy me a bottle of hard liquor and a large glass? Most definitely. I have no interest in learning how painful childbirth really is. Soooo, hopefully this child will be born before Tuesday, but at least we have a definite expiration date on this pregnancy now! :)

2 comments:

Risha said...

I will share some recent experiences...both my sister and a close friend were induced earlier this month (2nd child for both of them). My sister was around 2-3 cm and 50% effaced when it began, and she progressed very little for close to 11 hours. She did have time to get her epidural. However, she went from 4-10 in about 20 minutes immediately following the epidural, so it really didn't get the chance to completely take effect. So, she had time, but since things were going so slow, she kept waiting to get it so she didn't get it too early. Total labor for her was about 12 hours.

With my friend, she progressed fairly quickly and got her epidural about 3 hours after the induction was started, and the baby was born about 5 hours later. Total labor for her was about 8 hours.

I hope you do go on your own. I had the Pit with Isabelle because my contractions weren't coming and my water had broken. They're pretty intense. Some women go really fast and some don't. Our kids are going to have close birthdays! Can't wait to see pictures!

Anonymous said...

You make me laugh!
If you don't get an epidural you'll do what millions of other women (and hopefully me next time) have done - survive :) If you're worried about it and you're already 3cm, then just ask for the epidural within an hour after the pitocin is started. I think those ladies were the exception. Second one is often faster, but probably not that fast. If something goes wrong with the induction and you can't get the epidural at least you'll know it's going to be a lot shorter period of pain than with your first! :) I'm so excited for you! And jealous...I don't want to be prego anymore and I have a loooon way to go ;)