From My Cold Dead Hands...

...nap time, that is -- not guns.

Zach is three years old now, and in his infinite wisdom, he's decided that naps aren't his thing.
I beg to differ.
And if I have my way, he'll be napping until kindergarten.
It is a power struggle of epic proportions.

In the last few days, I have heard myself say things like
"Do not pile all your books on your bed, it's nap time."
"Zach, stop talking to your crocodile - it's nap time."
"If you kick the wall one more time, I'm coming in there!"
"Zach, why did you take your clothes off? It's nap time."
"I don't want you to sing or talk, I want you to close your eyes and stay still."
I could go on, but I'll spare you the rest :)

I would be more open to the idea of just having a "rest time" where he does whatever he'd like in his room - quietly, but when he doesn't sleep during nap time, he is impossible to live with later in the evening. I'm talking tantrums, crying about anything and everything, complaining about dinner, and anything else that an over-tired preschooler does. We all get to be the recipients of his foul moods. Rebekah probably gets it the most though - because Zach knows he can take her.

Anyway, I am determined to keep nap time! I will not give up on this! I'm thinking I may put him in the master bedroom for his nap so that he is not surrounded by all his toys and books. I figure pure boredom will help put him to sleep :) I'm also trying to come up with an effective distance to have him run before nap time so that he will be exhausted...my current estimate is about 73.4 miles. **sigh**


Wish me luck on nap time tomorrow!

My mother had a great deal of trouble with me, but I think she enjoyed it.
-- Mark Twain

1 comments:

Kristen said...

Hey girl...I'm afraid this is one you may likely not win. Gabi turned 3 in September and started this almost right away (no napping at preschool) and for about 6 months we really struggled because if she didn't nap she was a meltdown mess every evening. In the fall she would still sometimes nap, but it wasn't until about 2 months ago that she was able to even out. HOWEVER! The nice thing is that she is in bed asleep by 7:30. If we do keep her up later she's okay, but 8:30 is her absolute limit. I know you like the later bedtime/later wake up time, but.... :)